We are lucky to have such amazing charitable organisations that have come together to support the people of Merton through Lockdown.
One such charity is the Wimbledon Guild, which has a long history of innovating to meet people’s needs, and the COVID-19 pandemic has not changed this.
Wimbledon Guild is still here to support you, and everyone in Merton!
Many residents will be familiar with the charity’s base on Worple Road, and the services available there before the pandemic. What many might not know is how Wimbledon Guild have adapted their services to continue serving the people of Merton in ways which are COVID-safe.
For many services, making sure that they are COVID-safe has meant moving online using platforms such as Zoom. Other services, such as befriending, have moved to garden gate visits or telephone calls, and the HomeFood Café is now delivering delicious and nutritious meals to people’s doors.
Wimbledon Guild’s Communications Manager Phil McPherson wants everyone to know that:
Wimbledon Guild is more than just a building; it is a community. And though our door on Worple Road is closed for now this does not change the support we’re able to offer. Please let any family, friends or colleagues know they can contact Wimbledon Guild for help on 0208 946 0735 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some of the different ways in which Wimbledon Guild can help you this winter:
- The charity’s Wellbeing Support service offers practical and emotional support to help you, or a loved one, live an independent life for as long as possible.
- With a packed programme of Online Activities, Wimbledon Guild’s free online clubs, classes and talks for people aged 50+ are a great way to socialise and stay healthy.
- It’s never been more important for us to look after our mental health and wellbeing. Wimbledon Guild’s Talking Therapies service provides affordable counselling and support groups online and in person.
- The charity’s Befriending service offers weekly phone calls or social visits for people who are isolated or unable to leave the house. Befrienders and clients are matched based on shared interests, and many go on to develop genuine, long-lasting friendships.
- The charity provides Financial Assistance for eligible Merton residents struggling as a result of COVID-19 to help pay for items such as food, warm clothing, utility bills, essential furniture and household appliances.
- The free, confidential Grief Support service is available to adult residents in Merton, or patients registered with a Merton GP, and provides confidential advice and practical support.
- With the charity’s HomeFood Café currently closed, Wimbledon Guild is offering a Meal Delivery Service. Each nutritious portion costs £3.70, including delivery, and is freshly cooked and frozen, ready to reheat at home.
Wimbledon Guild are ready to help when you need them. Call 0208 946 0735 or email email@example.com.
ABOUT WIMBLEDON GUILD
Wimbledon Guild is a local charity that provides people in Merton with help and support in times of need. Under normal circumstances the charity operates from its base at Guild House on Worple Road, Wimbledon. It aims to reduce social isolation and loneliness, help people who are experiencing difficulties and enable older people to be active and healthy.
Wimbledon Guild rely heavily on donations and its work in the Merton community can only continue through the generosity of local people and businesses.
Visit www.wimbledonguild.co.uk to find out more.