This Summer, we have launched our brand new Summer in Merton art competition which will give young people from the ages of 4-18 the opportunity to show off their creative talents and share their experience of Summer in our wonderful borough of Merton. All eligible entrants will also be in with the chance of winning some fantastic prizes from local businesses and retailers. Read on for more details on how to enter, how the competition will be judged, and what prizes are on offer.
With Merton having won a Cultural Impact Award as part of the Mayor of London’s London Borough
of Culture Initiative, we recognise the borough as a very creative and thriving place to be.
Merton is also the home to widely acclaimed annual events such as Wimbledon Bookfest, Merton
Arts Festival, and the Wimbledon International Music Festival so we are aiming to keep the
momentum going on our borough’s overall creative efforts.
How to Enter
We are asking young people in Merton aged 4-18 to get as creative as they like and send in one of the below.
- 1. A picture of a drawing or painting that they have created that captures their ‘Summer in Merton’
- 2. A written piece that captures their ‘Summer in Merton’
Entries can be submitted by simply emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Summer in Merton’ followed by their first name and the area of Merton that they live in. E.G. Summer in Merton – Amy, Colliers Wood, or, if they live outside the borough, the name of the school/college they attend in Merton. In the email, please also include the entrants full name, and an email/contact number so that we can contact the winners.
All entries must be received by an extended deadline which is now Sunday 29th September 2019 (UK time.) Winners will be notified within a month of the competition’s closing date, and winners will be chosen by members of the WCA team, and a guest judge from the local Worple Art Group.
To be eligible for this competition, entrants must be the following, and agree to the below terms and conditions;
- – Be aged 4-18
- – Be a resident within the borough of Merton OR
- – Attend a school/college in Merton if they live outside the borough
- – Give permission for Wimblecomm to share their first name and submission on the Wimblecomm website, social media, and newsletter
Prizes to be Won
We are fortunate enough to live in a borough where local businesses and organisations are happy to support local charities like us, so that we can continue to bring Merton’s communities together through our online Community Hub Wimblecomm. Moreover, we would like to thank the below businesses and organisations who have donated some fantastic prizes for our winners. Please see the list below for all of the prizes available and do show these local businesses some love.
- – The Entertainer – £15 Gift Card
- – The Odeon in Wimbledon – 2x Guest Pass Tickets
- – Wafflemeister in Wimbledon – Voucher for 1x Sharing Box of 4 Plain Signature Waffles
- – Wahaca in Wimbledon – 1x £40 meal voucher
- – Cranleigh Tennis – 1x Junior Membership (worth £40)
- – Fielders Art & Craft gift/voucher (worth £40)
If you want to get involved with Summer in Merton but are not eligible to enter, you can still get involved in the fun by tagging @wimblecomm and using hashtags #SummerinMerton across Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. We will try our best to share it all! Please also don’t forget to follow us @wimblecomm on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
We look forward to receiving all of your Summer in Merton pieces!
Written by Genevieve Etienne-Farrell, Community Development Officer